Mylar bags offer a long term food storage solution for up to 20 years plus. Very strong and extra tough 5.1 mil thick with tear notch, quality product. These are our biggest bags and hold 5 gallons.
Our biggest Mylar bags are now even tougher with our special four layer design. This gives this extra large foil bag superb strength as it can hold a lot this is important. PET/ Aluminum foil / PET / Food grade PE inner.
Holds a massive 20kg or 5 gallons! The dimensions of these bags are 50cm wide by 75cm long and can hold up to a massive 20kg. The 20kg capacity is based on filling the bag with dried rice, other grain or sugar, if you are filling with coffee for example it is less dense and will hold about 10kg.
Our premium mylar foil bags are:
- Light Proof - Due to the real layer of aluminium and not the cheaper sprayed on metal colour version (metallised) which shows pinholes easily
- Smell Proof - Once sealed smells cannot escape, this is due to extra thickness of our premium bags
- Moisture Proof - Once sealed mositure from the air or even ground cannot enter as air tight seal is made, due to premium quality of the bag
- Boil in the Bag / Freezer Proof - Suitable for boil in the bag, due to special glue used, for up to 30 minutes and down to - 60 degrees celsius
- Foodgrade and BPA free - Safe for food contact
Mylar bags are a fantastic product for long term food storage of rice, pulses, dried beans, flour, sugar, seeds and hops, or for your precious items, for example photos, vinyl albums, comics, clothes, the list is endless.
The bag opens on the shorter side, with a tear notch on the longer side for easy opening of the bag once sealed, by hand.. Use one of our 2000cc oxygen absorbers per bag.
A quality product made in the USA and are 5.1 mil thick, most are around the 3.5 mil mark, many other suppliers don't mention the thickness of the foil bag for this very reason. This extra thickness is important as this offers extra protection from the UV (ultra-violet) in sunlight and also from oxygen penetration for the air around, plus are very hard to puncture accidently. These foil bags are multilayered and have a food safe inner.
To seal Mylar bags use a household clothes iron on the high setting, with no steam, hair crimper or use one of our constant heat sealers.
Mylar bags are usually used with oxygen absorbers, please see the related items below. These remove the oxygen from inside the bag, preserving the shelf life of the food stuffs above for many years, usually up to 10 years. For camping or hiking trips or similar, oxygen absorbers are not really needed.
The oxygen absorbers we sell work with this bag size, you will need one 2000cc oxygen absorber in each 50cm x 75cm Mylar bag, it is not essential to use an oxygen absorber depending on your application, but is recommended.